When creating a new landscape design, the levels of creativity are endless. Whether a large scale job or a small one, all projects reflect the same landscaping principles. It helps to have a general understanding of the fundamentals. In creating your own landscape design, or working with a professional, you will find the same general rules of thumb apply.
General Overview of Landscaping Principles Used Today
- Unity is achieved by using consistency and repetition in the landscape design. By repeating plant materials, hardscape materials or flowers throughout a property, unity is given to the space.
- A cohesive overall design is given by using similar textures, colors and materials throughout the design.
- Art principles, as well as landscaping principles, state the same thing. Simplicity for beginners. Do not over-complicate or overcrowd the space, making the design busy and diluted.
- Start small and add more as you go on and the landscape matures.
- A landscape design should create a sense of equality.
- Symmetrical or asymmetrical balance, depending on the design
- Contrast and harmony can be created within gardens, to lines in the property, to walkways, to the use of plant materials.
From unity, simplicity and balance, there are other key elements included in landscaping principles that are used in design. The use of color is another deciding factor with guidelines to follow. Most homeowners gravitate to the idea of adding color to their property, all year round. Depth in landscape is created by the use of color, as well as interest in gardens and planting beds. Patterns of colors should be repeated, as well as a palate for the overall design.
A landscape design should follow a natural transition throughout the property. There should not be any sudden changes in the landscape, or plantings that look out of place or unnatural. Walkways and stairways should be designed with purpose, and create a natural walking flow throughout the gardens and property.
Proportion is a crucial element to consider in landscape design. Plant materials in gardens should be chosen that are in proportion to one another, and not have some that stick out unintentionally. Statues, fountains and furniture as well should all be purchased and placed in proportion to the space it will be occupying
Having a general understanding of landscaping principles and how to apply them to design is a great way to start any new renovation. Working with a landscape designer or a landscape architect, is a great way to become involved and educated on landscaping principles. Having hands on interaction and access to knowledge, will help to ensure a successful design and installation. Choose color templates you enjoy, your style whether modern and simple, or natural and rustic, as well as the purpose of your outdoor space. The landscape design in time will all come together in harmony, creating an outdoor space that will continue to grow and thrive every year.
If you are interested in working with a landscape designer or architect over the winter season, to start developing a new landscape design for your home, we are here year round to help. This is the best time of year to engage with professionals to map out your plans for the new year. To learn more about landscaping principles, or to start planning a new outdoor space, feel free to contact us today.